Welcome to De Kelders PRIVATE Retreat – the luxury of privacy
This secluded De Kelders PRIVATE Retreat prides itself on timelessness and tranquillity. It is a weary travellers delight and not recommended for the glitzy tourist who wants a holiday resort.
The Villa is an ideal and convenient base from which to explore the wonders and attractions of the Overberg region. The house is situated on a 1000m double plot 200m from the cliff paths.
Its location provides guests with the privacy to view and not to be viewed by passers by. The enclosed double plot, private garden and heated pool allow visitors to relish in the warmth of the African sun and enjoy some well-earned breathing space.
Accommodation and Facilities:
The Villa can be booked for exclusive use, in which case the whole house is at your disposal. Alternatively the rooms can be booked separately and the house will be shared with other amiable travelers also looking for a peaceful retreat.
Accommodation is by prior arrangement only. The Retreat is not numbered and unmarked as a guesthouse, assuring the guests complete privacy.
North-facing property secures spectacular sunsets | heated salt water swimming pool | milky way star galaxy – no streetlights | library: c.d.’s | literature | design | music | food | classics | videos | magazines | private overberg garden | large field with overberg flowers | behind the house | laundry service | WI FI | area travel arrangements and recommendations
Room 1 – the pool room – has a queen size bed, and a full bathroom with spa bath. A fire place and a small private veranda looks out over the garden.
From here a few steps lead down to the garden and the pool area where you can enjoy the warmth of the South African sun, read, relax and cool off in the salt water heated pool.
Room 2 – the suite – stylishly fitted with two three-quarter beds that can be converted into an extra large kingsize bed.
The room has an en-suite shower room and separate toilet, a fireplace and a small comfortable lounge leads to a small private patio garden with beautiful views to the Gansbaai mountains.
Room 3 – the private room – has a kingsize bed with a seating area.
An en-suite shower room and toilet, a fireplace and a small practical study area. Glass sliding doors open onto a small patio garden overlooking the Gansbaai mountains.
Meals – The owner is a celebrated author of heritage cookbooks | salt+pepper and back+page and his latest food novel : bitter+sweet.
He is a world traveller and has a passion for food. His restaurant – Le Must – was voted 1 of the TOP 10 in South Africa. Since 1985 he has cooked for many guests including Mr. Nelson Mandela. His monthly back page column for HOME magazine has 360 000 readers. He is busy with his fourth book on Heritage South African Heirloom Food and yester year lifestyle.
Dinner – Delicious home cooked South African meals from R 450 – R550 for a 4-course meal: soup | salad | main course | dessert | espresso/tea | fresh fish from Walker Bay | Overberg lamb | local cheese | farm fruit & vegetables | home made preserves | award winning regional wines. Dinner 19:00 individual tables or one table
Breakfast – Simple Overberg breakfasts celebrating local harvested produce like farm fresh eggs, butter, cream and cheese.
Breakfast 08:00 – 10:00 – individual tables or one table
Attractions – De Kelders PRIVATE Retreat is situated in the quaint, yet scenic village of De Kelders, Gansbaai, South Africa. 151km from Cape Town, 5km from Gansbaai and 35km from Hermanus.
The Retreat is an ideal and convenient base from which to explore the wonders and attractions of the Overberg region. Do not miss historic Elim, the charming village of Stanford, the beautiful beaches and fisherman’s cottages of Arniston and the many exquisite award winning boutique wine estates of the area. We will arrange all excursions prior to your arrival.
- Fynbos – 1500 species – guided tours | 12km
- Platbos southern africa’s most ancient indigenous forest | 12km
- Marine Eco Tours at Dyer Island, african penguins | 12km board point
- Geyser Island Cape Fur Seal Tours | 12km board point Kleinbaai
- Great white shark cage diving – best June until September | 12km board point
- Danger Point Light House | 14km
- Wine tasting Elim, Agulhas, Stanford, Hermanus, Hemel & Aarde Valley | 15km
- Lunch destinations Stanford | Napier | 20km plus
- River cruise Stanford | 15km
- Endless empty, unspoilt and peopleless beaches | Pearly Beach | 23km
- Baardskeerderbos Valley and artists’ Hamlet | 30km
- Elim heritage site – oldest cultural historic village & museum | 39km
- Cape Agulhas / Arniston – southern most point of continent | 120km
- Massage | aromatherapy | at Grootbos or in Platbos forest
- Land based southern right whale watching – June until early December | 200m
- Swimming in protected coves and bays | 200m
- The caves of De Kelders | 200m
- Coastal Klipgat Trail 7 km to or from Gansbaai | 200m
- Walker Bay nature reserve 17 km hike from De Kelders to Hermanus | 200m
- Die Plaat – long walks, swim and sun bathing | 2km
- Klipgat Cave – one of the six oldest remains of modern man | 2km
- Excellent fishing – Die Plaat | 2km
- Strandveld museum at Franskraal | 12km
- Birding – Overberg 330 species – guided trips can be arranged
- Kayaking from Stanford’s cove to the caves at De Kelders | 3km
- Horse riding outride’s and trails at Pearly Beach | 20km
De Kelders Private Retreat Offers 30% Off 1 night & 40% Off 2 nights & 50% Off 5+ nights! for Crew connected Members
Make your booking request here email@example.com Quote “CREWCONNECTED” to ensure Crewconnected Interline Rates
Tel: 0027 082 373 3837